Sunday 29 December 2019

Brechin

A little behindhand for Holy Innocents.  It took me some time to locate an image of the Victorian anti-type to the Massacre  - Christ's 'Suffer little Children to come unto me'.   This is a three-light window in Brechin's honorary  cathedral,  produced by Morris &Co, under Henry Dearle and attributed to him, although several elements, including the tiled sky, the female heads and the infant faces are plainly copied if not actually drawn by Burne-Jones. [it was after all, a house style]

My attention was caught by the mother and babe on the far right, whose dark skins give a global aspect to the religious message, albeit marginalised.  i must now search for other versions.  Happy New Year to all newborns and their forebears.

[Apologies and credit to Sandy, from whose anonymous blog I borrowed the image, my own proving hopeless...]  .



No comments:

Post a Comment