The four-figure group of Martyrs was installed in 1894, commemorating the widow of Charles Drage, a London physician buried in the churchyard. It thus post-dates Morris's active involvement in the Firm's commissions. And if his refusal to install new glass in old churches had not of itself denied Hatfield this window, one feels his political convictions would have blocked any dealings with a church so closely linked to the imperial prime minister Lord Salisbury.On the opposite wall is an angelic trio, who represent Suffering and Charity flanking the Sun of Righteousness, which was a post-WWI memorial to three Cecil scions. These splendid figures were the work of Christopher Whall.
and another with two wonderful Jacobean women from the Brocket family reclining uncomfortably together, over a skull.