Friday 16 June 2017

Zanele Muholi in London



Zanele Muholi self 2015

I first saw Zanele Muholi and her work in Cape Town about a dozen years ago  -  with a sequence of sepia close-ups of dark skin, arresting and beautiful images set beside terrible accounts of attacks on LGBTQ individuals.   Since then, her work has been seen internationally, as I glimpsed in Johannesburg last year.  It's an ongoing, ever-developing project entitled Somnyama Ngonyama,  the latest phase of which is  on view at Autograph ABP,  Rivington Place, EC2A 3BA  Tues-Sats 13 July till end October

http://autograph-abp.co.uk/exhibitions/zanele-muholi


"I’m reclaiming my blackness, which I feel is continuously performed by the privileged other. My reality is that I do not mimic being black; it is my skin, and the experience of being black is deeply entrenched in me. Just like our ancestors, we live as black people 365 days a year, and we should speak without fear." - Zanele Muholi 



Interview with Muholi and more pictures  here
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment